Captain Morgan Rum
Captain Morgan Rum “Got a little Captain in You?”
“Got a little Captain in You?” This is the slogan that captured our imagination, in 1984, when Captain Morgan Spiced Rum was introduced on the market. The company called Captain Morgan is named after the 17th century Caribbean privateer, Sir Henry Morgan and was part of the Seagrams empire. Sold to a company called Diageo in 2001, Captain Morgan is the top selling spiced rum today. In truth, the Seagrams Company started producing rum using the name Captain Morgan Rum Company back in 1944. The CEO at the time purchased a distillery from the government of Jamaica. One of the distillery’s customers purchased the raw rum, adding herbs and spices and bottling it. The same CEO like the product so much that he bought the rights to it.
Throughout the 1950s tax laws in the United States were less for imports from Puerto Rico than for other countries in an effort to create jobs. Seagrams and Bacardi both built large plants there in order to take advantage of the economic incentives and to avoid the higher taxes. Although Seagrams sold off interest in the original distillery in 1985, they held on to the Captain Morgan name. To further confuse the history, Henry Morgan is a pirate of Jamaican culture, the Seagrams Captain Morgan Rum is a product of Puerto Rico, yet the Captain Morgan Rum produced by a J. Wary and Nephew, the owner of rival company, Appleton, is labeled a product of Jamaica.
Email us your Favorite Captain Morgan Rums - Cocktails - Reviews email@example.com
Using the molasses from the distilling process as a base, adding the island spices and, color and flavor enhancers, the rum is aged in oak barrels adding the refined smooth taste. Top selling brands sold under the Captain Morgan label are:
- Black Label Rum– A dark rum from Jamaica. 80 proof
- Original Spiced Rum- Mellow aged and enhanced with fruit flavors, spices, and a hint of vanilla. 70 proof
- Parrot Bay Rum - White rum with varieties including coconut, mango, pineapple, and passion fruit. 42 proof
- Private Stock Rum - Rich, dark and full-bodied, blends hints of island spices with a smooth texture. 80 proof
- Silver Spiced Rum - Aged in oak barrels for over a year, with a smooth taste and a well-rounded, vanilla character. 70 proof
- Tattoo Rum- An extra-dark rum with fruit flavors described as berry or citrus.70 proof
Captain Morgan Rum has increased in popularity and at present under Diageo Management it has been able to achieve the third largest brand image in the United States and the seventh largest around the world. Reviews of this product show it to be highly popular brand.